Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Fitch Welcomes Statewide Debate Teams to The Nest

L-R: Alana Nobles, Avery Horan, Millie DeBell, Samantha Morin, Katie Virtue, Megan Lacey, Olivia Flowers, Sakhi Patel, Gillian Riley, Erica Nicklin, Jack Barie, Fabian Aponte-Flores, Naman Patel, Jiovanni Sookhai

GROTON.Conn – Fitch High School recently hosted the November competition for the Connecticut Debate Association, making it the first school to host outside of Fairfield County since 2020.

Hosted by the Fitch debate team and their coach, Rick Pecka, the competition had eight schools from across the state in attendance, totalling about 100 students. The debate occurred on Nov. 11 and lasted all day. Each team debated four times, except for bye rounds or finals. The motion being debated for the day was, “This house believes that college is overvalued.”

While a relatively small competition, the energy was still high. When the packets containing the articles used to form the arguments were passed out, it was all hands on deck. All members of the Fitch Debate Team got to work constructing contentions and definitions as well as compiling evidence for both the Government side (for the motion) and the Opposition side (against the motion).

Fitch had its largest number of teams to date, totaling eight. Five teams were in the varsity division (juniors and seniors), and three were in the novice division (freshmen and sophomores).

The four rounds came and went, bringing ups and downs for Fitch. As for results, every novice team went 2-2, two varsity teams went 1-3, and two other varsity teams went 2-2. Setting a record for this competition season, partners Sakhi Patel and Gillian Riley went 3-1.

“I was nervous at first, but once we settled down around the second or third round, it felt better,” said sophomore Katie Virtue, a first-time debater. “The environment was tense, but it was cool seeing everyone working so diligently.”

Ultimately, the varsity final came down to one school and two teams. The team of Ari Levins and Juliana Yang versus the team of Julia Vela and Rachel Mikush, both from Pomperaug High School. In the final

Megan Lacey won Fourth Place Speaker in the Novice Division.

vote, Vela and Mikush’s team won on a unanimous 3-0 ballot.

Following the finals, speaker and team awards were announced, during which it was revealed that Fitch sophomore, Megan Lacey, who partnered with freshman Alana Nobles, placed fourth overall as a novice speaker.

“It felt good,” said Megan Lacey when asked how it felt to win the award, “I’m happy. Everyone did well.”

With this placement, Megan has earned her way to the state finals in March of 2024.

There was lunch break between the second and third rounds, where student volunteers from The National Honor Society and Key Club served pizza.

This marked Fitch’s second CDA competition this year, having competed in October at Joel Barlow High school in Redding, and more recently in December at Westhill High School in Stamford. The next competition for the team will be in early January at Fairfield-Warde High School.