Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Falcons Gobble Up Ledyard In Thanksgiving Rivalry Game

Matthew Deichler

LEDYARD, Conn. -The Fitch football team shut out the Ledyard Colonels and retained the notorious sword that has been battled for since 2001. 

The Falcons secured the win with the final score of 33-0. The Colonels came in with a record of 4-6 this season, while Fitch was 9-1. Calvin McCoy and Ben Perry led the team to victory with three touchdowns and 100 yards rushed by Perry. Perry and McCoy were the playmakers of the game having the throw to catch connections. 

“Me and Ben have been playing together since we were 8 years old, so that bond was already there,” said McCoy, who was named MVP of the game. “But through constant work with each other, he was able to put his trust in me and just throw me the ball knowing I was going to come down with it.”

“A couple days before the game I would tell myself, ‘the sword belongs to us’,” said Adonis Fine. ”We went in the game and finished strong, and now the sword stays at Fitch.” 

With this win, the Falcons improved their Turkey Day record to 10-12 since 2001.The history of the sword holds a more significant meaning than the battle

The Col. Ledyard Memorial Sword will remain with Fitch for at least another year. (Marc Romano)

between the two towns. 

“This game is so significant to me and the team because of the rich history behind it,” said McCoy. “With the battle at Fort Griswold we’ve seen deep into the history of the area, and that helped us realize that this game isn’t just a game, but a battle where we have to go all out and fight for what we deserve.”

The sword has held a symbolic meaning of the defending of Fort Griswold and the men that were tragically lost in battle. The meaning has shifted when being brought to the sport and obtains the legacy of who will be the winner in the rivalry football game. 

In an email sent out to staff during the week of the game, Fitch Athletic Director Marc Romano noted, “Ledyard kept the sword from 2006 until they lost it in overtime in 2016 and has not regained it since.”

The Falcons went on to lose against North Haven in the semi-final round of states for their division by a score of 41-22. They ended their season with a record of 9-2 and now currently hold the sword with the goal of defending it next year.

Seniors Devon Edwards and Ben Perry pose with the sword following the game. (Matthew Deichler)