Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Snow Days Push Back End Of School Year

Groton, CONN. – Two recent snow days have pushed the school year back, as the days have had to be added.

Fitch High School has faced two snow storms on Jan. 26 and Feb. 13 that resulted in snow days. These snow days caused the school to be closed. This resulted in extra days to be added at the end of the year to make up for the ones previously missed. 

Teachers and students have mixed feelings about snow days. Some are questioning if it’s really worth closing school and then receiving extra school days at the end of the school year. The original final day was June 11th and now it will be June 13th. 

“I don’t mind snow days because they allow me extra time to catch up on any work I may have,” said senior Josmary Francisco. “But I guess you can say they bother me a little because it pushes back when I graduate”.”

Like many seniors impatiently waiting to graduate they still haven’t received a graduation date due to the push back on the end of the year. 

“As a human being, I love snow days. I think everyone deserves a little treat and a day off to enjoy the weather and some down time. As a teacher, they really throw off our schedule and disrupt the flow of classes and lessons,” said teacher Karley Reising. “They definitely make it more challenging to keep the class on task and on pace. With only seeing students two to three times a week already, if a snow day falls on a Tuesday or Thursday, you only get to see a class once a week. That makes it really hard to keep kids in the right mindset”.” 

These snow days have been an inconvenience for teachers especially when trying to keep their students on track. This comes as teachers and students also try to adapt themselves to the unexpected delays due to the weather.