Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Annual Irish Parade Thrills Downtown Mystic

MYSTIC, Conn. – Downtown Mystic was filled with the sounds of bagpipes and cheers last month for the 19th Annual Mystic Irish Parade in Honor of St. Patrick’s Day. 

In a celebration of Irish heritage, the parade was held on March 24 and organized by The Mystic Irish Parade Foundation. The road was closed to vehicular traffic at 12:25 p.m. and the parade started at 1:00 p.m. Many local business, bands, and organizations had representatives marching in the parade.  Marchers started at the Mystic Seaport, then continued on  to Willow St., then Broadway St., then East Main St., then West Main St., and ended at the Mystic Museum of Art on Water St. The FHS Class of 2026 held a bake sale, with other classes also holding fundraisers. 

Most of the crowd was in central downtown Mystic. Hours before the road was even closed, chairs were placed and reserved . As parade time started to creep closer, the crowd on West Main St. grew. Music, food, and friends filled the street in anticipation of the parade to come. 

“I liked how so many people were really into it,” said Katelin Rose. “And the costumes [were amazing].” 

All marchers were very festive and dedicated to the celebration. Marchers from the Mystic Garden Club were dressed as sunflowers. The marchers representing Mystic Aquarium had inflatable seahorse and puffer fish costumes on. 

Overall, this year’s Mystic Irish Parade brought together a community for a day of celebration of Irish heritage, with many already looking forward to next year’s 20th anniversary.