Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Amphora Hosts Open Poet Laureate Contest

GROTON, Conn. – The Amphora Club is hosting a poet laureate contest which will last until February 25th and is open to all students.

Amphora, the school’s 60-year-old arts and literature magazine, has invited any and all students to submit three poems to enter their poet laureate contest. The winner of the poet laureate contest will be chosen out of all of the submissions by the Amphora crew and the winner will win $100, a poetry workshop, and a chance to read in front of a live audience.

The magazine, published annually, is run by the Amphora Club with 20 members currently and the club is headed by Mr. Giovinazzo. However, the club is always open to adding new members.

Choosing a winner for the Poet Laureate Contest is always fun,” remarked Mr. Giovinazzo. “Amphora holds three voting rounds. In each round students score each submission individually. The first round cuts the field in half, the second narrows it down to three finalists, then they vote on a winner. The process is in-depth and takes several weeks not only out of fairness but also because of the abundance of talented writers at FHS.”

Students who are interested in submitting their poems can do so at [email protected]. 

The poems that are chosen as the winners will be published and the winning poets will be interviewed in the 60th edition of the Amphora magazine which will be released in Spring 2024.