Written by the students of Fitch High School and trusted since 1928

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

The Falcon Press

Book Review: ‘I Must Betray You’

Ruta Sepetys, a historical fiction author, is well known for winning a Carnegie Medal and writing seven books; she also won or was shortlisted in over 40 book prizes. In addition to the medal, she received the Bellagio Fellowship for her prior studies on resilience and was honored with the Cross of the Knight of the Order by the President of Lithuania. She has even been invited to NATO and several other places worldwide to present her books.

Her second most recent book “I Must Betray You,” was published February 1st 2022 and takes place in Romania during 1989, when Nicolae Ceausescu was leader of Romania. Cristian Florescu, the protagonist, is a young 17 year old boy who wishes to be a writer. However, he can’t speak freely as he lives during the time of communism in Romania but he refuses to let that halt him from fulfilling his dreams.

Plot Overview
Within the first few chapters, the reader is introduced to Cristian’s life and his overall character. However, it is noted quite quickly that Cristian is restricted by expectations and standards by Romania’s leader Nicolae Ceausescu. Which is only just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the challenges Cristian and the people around him face in day to day life. Food, clothes, and any other necessities are heavily scarce in Romania. Getting a piece of bread or an old/expired can of food is to wait hours in line all day, everyday, be it through biting cold, relentless rain, or blizzard like snow. The scarcity also extends from getting a new coat, which takes months, and medicine is plainly a luxury very few don’t have. The restricted TV and radio access added on to everything else is just the icing on the cake of everything.

Nevertheless, this burden is not something Cristian faces alone. Alongside him, is his best friend Luka and Bunu who supports his dreams and him as a person. Luka, his best friend, who is on his side no matter what. Though Luka is more likable and friendly, compared to Cristian’s bluntness and witty sarcasm, they are still best friends nevertheless. And Bunu, his insightful and knowledgeable grandfather who isn’t afraid to share his opinion and worldly views despite the dangers of his words getting out. Both of them support his goal and dream to become a free thinking writer.

In addition to the vivid portrayal of the background and the characters, Ruta Sepetys doesn’t just narrate the hardships and trying times; she immerses the reader through her impressive use of language and storytelling. Every word she isn’t just writing the story of Cristian, her writing presents as if Cristian is recounting his experiences himself, regardless of him being a fictional character. The way Sepetys shows an understanding of the actual historical context of Romania is just as impressive as she is expressing the harsh reality of Romania during 1989 while also placing believable fictional characters along with it. Everything all together feels as real as reality despite the majority being fiction based.

Overall Opinion
I absolutely enjoyed “I Must Betray You” and loved the story. The pacing didn’t feel slow, nor too fast paced. My absolute favorite part is the map of Europe displayed in the very beginning and the notes displayed throughout that were either bits from Cristian’s journal as well as organization notes that appear later on. Overall, I was glad to take the time to experience this book as soon as I saw the front cover. I really recommend reading “I Must Betray You” by Ruta Sepetys if you enjoy historical fiction novels or just mystery books in general.